Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Fun & Not So Fun

Mom had her second chemo of six this last Friday. I'm just going to throw this out there: chemo sucks. Yes, it saves lives. Yes, I'm thankful for it. But it is awful. I get that claustrophobic, I'm going to freak out and start killing people and I have to get out of here feeling that I hate. I don't get that feeling often. But I sure get it at chemo. So it's super nice when I have fun people to offset the crazy in me. And ultimately, I have to remember I'm not the one it sucks the worse for.

Here's my mom. This whole process is really hard. But she's damn tough. And she looks so cute all the time. Not exactly sure what's up with Sophie in this picture.

Freaking Angie interrogates everyone in the room. What's your story? How many kids do you have? Where do they live? Do you like Utah or BYU? How much money do you make?
I'm totally kidding, but she really is funny. She is genuinely interested in people, and people love talking to her. She made this lady smile at the end of a long day.


Trav stopped by cause he's so awesome, and Angie went to hand Sophie to him. And this is what she did. At least he went back to his faculty meeting looking like he peed his pants.

We both have really lame smiles here, and we both look incredibly pale. But I do have to give a shout out to Amy. She hated being there even more than I did, but she still made us laugh. Like when she asked my mom's nurse not to move her foot while he was rearranging IV bags. That's the nurse in the back by the way. He's Joe. He has four kids. He moved here to be closer to his ex-wife's family. You know how I know all that? Yep. Angie asked him.

We call her Sophie Sofa. Because her last name is Davenport, and a davenport is a sofa. And Bowen calls her Charlie. No idea why.


I also had a birthday on Sunday! That's right, I turned 30. So not a big deal. I don't feel old, and I'm still super hot, so who cares right? I had a great day. I always do. Trav surprised me and spoiled me, I got to cook dinner for my family plus my mom and Mitch, and I had more calls, texts, cards and drop bys than I could count. I have a lot of people who are so so good to me.

I don't have any pictures because I took them all without my memory card in my camera because I'm a thinker. But I'll steal them from my mom as soon as she posts them.

I have to also say that life feels pretty good right now, for the most part. We all still have our days, and sometimes it's overwhelming. But there is so much good in the world. So many people who truly want to do things for others just to do them. Sometimes it baffles me, and Satan gets in my head, and I wonder why people would do these things. What do they get out of it? It's amazing to me how wonderful people are. Truly.

We're planning mom's Anything for A Friend fundraiser also. We just had our second meeting, and I have to say I am so excited right now. I feel so good about all of this. It is going to be so awesome. If you are interested in helping, email me. Or check out her page on this site to see more of what we're doing.

AFAF

It really is something so much bigger than I've ever even thought about doing, and so much bigger than the money we can raise.

Life is good. I'm a happy girl.

3 comments:

Kourtney and Nathan said...

Your mom looks great!! And I agree chemo does suck, for everyone involved :( You guys are so good to go to her treatments with her! And Happy Birthday again! Sounds like a good day!

P.S. I do want to help out with the AFAF fundraiser, it will just have to be after the baby comes :)

Mindy said...

You are still super hot. As are your mom and sisters. :) I want to help with the AFAF fundraiser as well!

The Thurgoods said...

I love reading your blog. Katie, you are such a beautiful person INSIDE and out. It is good to hear that your mom is hanging in there and it sounds like she has an amazing support system. Your family is in my prayers!